If you still have your iOS device
Planning to sell your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch? Make sure that you’ve removed all your personal information and that you have reset your device to its default factory state before transferring ownership. Here’s a checklist that will help:
- Back-up your device.
- Sign out of iCloud:
- Tap Settings > iCloud and tap Sign Out. If you’re using iOS 7 or earlier, tap Delete Account.
- Tap Sign Out again, tap Delete from My iPhone and enter your password.
- Go to Settings -> General -> Reset. After this, tap ‘Erase all content and settings’.
- This will erase your device completely, including photos, contacts, music, or apps. It will also turn off iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime, Game Center, and other services.
- For iOS 7 or later users, if Find My iPhone is turned on, your Apple ID and password will be required before the device can be erased.
- The data you’ve saved on iCloud won’t be deleted when you erase your device.
NOTE: If you manually delete contacts, documents, photo streams, or any other iCloud data when you are signed in to your iCloud account, the data will also get deleted from the iCloud servers and all of your devices that are signed in to iCloud.
If you no longer have your iOS device
In case you didn’t follow the steps above before transferring ownership of your iOS device, here’s what you can do to protect your personal information:
- If it is an option, the best thing would be to ask the new owner to erase all the data and setting as explained above,
- You can erase the device remotely if you’re using iCloud or Find My iPhone on the device. Just sign in to www.icloud.com/find, select your device and click on Erase. Once this is done, click Remove from Account.
- If you are not able to execute either of the first two steps, at the very least you should change your Apple ID password. This won’t remove any personal information that is cached on the device, but it will ensure that the new owner is not able to delete your information from iCloud.
iService is the top rated apple service center in Bangalore. We have a team of expert technicians who can resolve almost any Apple device issues ranging from simple iphone services such as fixing locked phones to daunting mac services such as reviving dead macs. If you face any issues with your Apple device, call us at +91 9902740000 or fill out this form so that we can get in touch with you.